Today’s short snippet is inspired by today’s Daily Prompt: If you could get all the nutrition you needed in a day with a pill — no worrying about what to eat, no food preparation — would you do it?
“Why do you always pop a few extra pills whenever Aunt Heloise cooks, Grandpa,” Dorinda asked as she grabbed her jacket and wallet.
The elder Russell looked her in the eye, his brown eyes are sharp as ever. “It’s because she thinks she cooks I pop ’em,” he said. With a wink, he added, “A shot or two doesn’t hurt, either, but don’t tell your nana that.”
Dorinda shook her head. True, the smell of burnt toast and sound of sizzling eggs-turned-over-done was better than the smell of blood and the sound of breaking glass, to name the ‘calmer alternatives’ they’d seen. She and Adele always imagined Heloise as the skinnier, funnier Julia Child when they were little. It wasn’t until home ec that they really discovered the depths of Vincent’s passion for the culinary arts.
“You could always tell her you don’t need her to fix you guys anything. Just because she sobers up from the night before-.”
“You’ve lived in this house for how long? Go, grab your father and make a clean escape. Get a hearty country breakfast with an extra order of bacon and sausage for me, huh?”
The young woman laughed, aware that she’d probably have to swim double the laps or attend thrice the number of workouts just to burn off the calories; while her father wouldn’t even gain a pound.
Some things just weren’t fair.
(SoCNoC total today: 450)
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: Red Pill, Blue Pill | Basically Beyond Basic
- Free Your Stomach, and the Rest Will Follow | Do Not Get Sick in the Sink, Please
- What’s for dinner – Red pill or Blue Pill | Nanuschka’s Blog
- So sad! | Vivir, que no es poco
- Things That Pill Could Never Supply You With | Daily Prompt: Red Pill, Blue Pill | likereadingontrains
- dining with you, a haiku | charlottesville winter
- Pills | Cat’s Chinwag
- I’d swallow it. Especially if it just shut my selves up. | thoughtsofrkh
- Popping Pills | Hope* the happy hugger
- Time to eat! | Penne 4 Your Thoughts
- The Pill | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- Try Nutri-pill! (a commercial script) | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Popping A Pill Instead Of Eating? | My Daily Prompt Blog
- A Pill is no Cannoli | The Mercenary Researcher
- With drawn buttah, right? | Relax…
- Daily Prompt: Red Pill, Blue Pill | Authentic Indian Thali «
- dining with you, a haiku | charlottesville winter | Hey Sweetheart, Get Me Rewrite!
- “Let’s Get Physical” | Donbury Pond
- Daily Prompt: Red Pill, Blue Pill « Mama Bear Musings
- Flavour or nutrition?? | amateurxpress
- Sorta-Ginger | Your Results May Vary
- Daily Prompt; Red Pill, Blue Pill | terry1954
- Nourishment for my soul 🙂 | MindBlur
- Blueberries and Redcurrant | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: Red Pill, Blue Pill | The Educated Illiterates
- Pop The Pill? Daily Prompt | heysugarsugar
- Daily Prompt: Red Pill,Blue Pill (Nourishment) | 365 Day 130 | AmiLoo’s Photography
- Daily Post: If Proteins Were Red, Carbohydrates Were Blue, What Would You Do? | Iam Who Iam
- Random Signs of Their Faith | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Daily Prompt: Red Pill, Blue Pill – It’s Not Just Nutrition | SERENDIPITY
- There’s a pill for that! | Code For Confession
- Daily Prompt: Red Pill, Blue Pill | Amanda’s Blog™
- June Daily Prompt: Just If It Doesn’t Cost Much | Portofolio Prita
- Daily Prompt: Savory | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt : Red Pill Blue Pill | writinglikeastoner
- Daily Prompt: Red Pill, Blue Pill | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss