What does Camp NaNo mean? Freedom from the Inner Critic, the Delete Button, the need of a mandatory deadline/guideline/sight line.
So, if today’s word count, despite the main character’s birthday being today, is zero, then so be it.
What are your characters freed from?
Yes, it’s last year’s logo, but then again, those projects are part of this year’s second attempt. Sadly, low word count; happily, more discoveries about the main players. Still an unfinished soundtrack. At least I’ve written every day so far. Now to keep it going!
How are you fairing with your camp visit/writing?
“Who Are You?” by The Who is a song I’ve used twice now – first time for Quietus: Quintets Demise and this year’s project.
Jasmine Ulyssa Lewis Yeardley, born on the Fourth of July, is witty, sassy, loyal, a chameleon, and a Jacqueline-of-all-trades.
Many nicknames for the main character of the current mystery:
- Jazz – by her occasional music writing partner and constant concert-goer
- Jewel-Eye – by most friends
- Jules – by her sci-fi book club and steampunk friends
- Joyce – by her nerdy, literary friend who knows about Ulysses
- Sparks – by her older friend/big brother/’walking, taller, ‘Yoda,’ Rennie
- Merriweather – by her friend William Clark (who did take the road trip along the Lewis and Clark trail
- Ruby – by her jewelry store owner friend, given the penchant for wearing various shades of red
Do any of your characters have nicknames?
Yep, gonna try it again – set time aside every day this month to write something. What, you may ask? Oh, that’s the question! It’s a mystery. No, seriously, I haven’t a clue what I’m doing this month – again. The only concrete item is the title – merging the titles of the last two failed Camp NaNo’s.
Luckily, get to have a private cabin again with two of my best writing buddies! Natasha and Winney had a proper midnight kick-off (and what a delight to catch up on the chatter the morning after)!
Me – I squeaked out a few words, a dead body and my main character told me her name! (most maddening thing to go ‘hey, you!’ all the time with these internal discussions!) Can’t quite see Jasmine Ulyssa Lewis Yeardley (July to her friends) yet, but she has quite the fun attitude!
How about you? Going to join in on the fun?